The Brunts Academy is committed to providing a planned programme of Careers, Employability and Enterprise for all students in Years 7-13. We also endeavour to follow the Careers Development Institute (CDI) Careers Framework (November 2015) and other relevant guidance from the DfE, QCA and Ofsted, People’s Information, Advice and Guidance.
Future Me – launched September 2016
The Academy has adopted the Local Enterprise Partnership (D2N2) Employability Framework and will launch Future Me amalgamating the 10 D2N2 Employability Goals with Brunts Learner. At the core of this framework is the idea that all young people should have the opportunity to engage with employers, learn about the world of work and develop their employability and enterprise skills – http://www.d2n2lep.org/skills/employability-framework
All Year 10 students undertake 2 weeks’ work experience in July. Students are supported throughout the process to enable them to secure placements relevant to their career aspirations and/ or subject interest. The placements are quality assured by the Evolve Trust to ensure all legal health and safety requirements are met.
Challenge projects are also held with local companies offering bespoke work experience opportunities for Year 10 students.
KS4 Me2Work Employability Programme
The Enterprising Schools – me2wrk Programme is funded by Mansfield District Council through its Pathway to Work Initiative and is designed to help young people prepare successfully for the world of work. The programme is delivered by Ideas4Careers, and consists of various employability skill workshops aimed at supporting young people develop key skills such as CV writing, interview techniques and career journey mapping, and providing careers guidance. The programme is supported by local employers who support the workshop facilitators with giving real life experience and top tips, helping students to complete employability skills based tasks, and general advice and information on the world of work.
All Year 11 students access a mock interview with a local employer linked to the student’s career aspirations.
In preparation for these meetings, students are given exemplar jobs to apply for within their desired sector. The students develop CVs and covering letters which are quality assured and shared with the employers.
Post 16 Employability Opportunities
Post 16 students regularly attend Mansfield 2020 breakfasts where they network with over 120 local business leaders. The students are mapped to specific employers according to the students’ career aspirations and subjects.
Post 16 Career Internship
Managed by the Evolve Trust, the programme offer internships to Year 13 students not wishing to go university and looking for employment/ apprenticeships. The internship is built into the student’s timetable and supports them develop employability.
- The portal is live to parents, students and tutors.
- A careers programme is also on the portal.
- It gives daily access to online careers resources such as Plotr and National Careers Service.
- It provides regular updates re Labour Market, Future Careers, employment opportunities i.e. apprenticeships.
Mrs Barnard – Careers Advisor
- Mrs Barnard attends parents’ evenings to raise the profile of careers to all parents and carers.
- Mrs Barnard holds independent careers meeting with students and parents/ carers as part of supporting students with securing their career aspirations and destinations.
- Mrs Barnard is a registered member of CDI holding a Level 6.
- The Brunts Academy is an affiliate of the CDI.
- Mrs Barnard regularly attends careers meetings to ensure the Academy has the latest information. This includes DNLCC and Boots.