The Brunts Academy takes the attendance of its pupils seriously and encourages everyone to attend school every day. We are keen to work with parents and carers to help ensure excellent attendance and punctuality for pupils.
Why is attendance important – what impact does it have?
What do we ask parents to do?
- If your daughter/son is unavoidably absent please contact the attendance team by telephoning 01623 623149 option 1 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org on the FIRST DAY of absence.
- Please maintain contact with the Academy every day while they are absent. For absence longer than five days medical evidence is required.
- Failure to contact the Academy could result in your child receiving an UNAUTHORISED ABSENCE.
- Holidays during term time are not allowed only under extreme exceptional circumstances, these should be agreed with the head.
- Make medical and other appointments out of school time.
- Contact the Academy straight away if there are any problems with attendance.
- Ensure that your child is on site for 8.40am to start lessons at 8.45am.
What will the Academy do?
The Academy will send a text alert by 9.30am if your child is absent and there is no known reason.
- The importance of attendance will be regularly raised with students and positive attendance rewarded.
- Students with poor attendance will be supported by relevant staff within the Academy.
- The Academy will provide parents with attendance data alongside students’ reports.
All students should be on site for 8.40am to start lessons promptly at 8.45am.
Students should access the Academy via the Bath Lane and Park Avenue entrances only. Windmill Lane is no longer accessible by pedestrians.
Entrances to the Academy are manned by staff each morning.
Any student arriving late will be issued with a Level 4 detention.
If you know that your child is going to be late, please inform the Academy at your earliest convenience.
Acceptable/Unacceptable reasons for Absence
- Genuine illness – not minor ailments such as headache, hay-fever or sore throat!
- Medical appointments – doctors, dentist, orthodontist but please try to make appointments outside of school hours
- Holidays – the Academy does not automatically agree to give time off in term time
- Birthdays – You should come to school on your birthday and enjoy the day with your friends
- Shopping – this can be done after school or at weekends
HOLIDAYS IN TERM TIME
We understand that it is often more expensive to take a family holiday during the school breaks. The law says that parents do not have an automatic right to take their child out of school for holidays during term time. The Academy will not authorise term time holidays unless in exceptional circumstances and as authorised by the Headteacher.
If your request for a term time holiday or other absence is refused and your child is still taken out of school, this will be recorded as an unauthorised absence and a penalty notice will be actioned.